Better Than Chicken Soup
As a huge fan of soup for what ails you, be it a head full of snot or a breakup, this has been my go to at the first sign of a sniffle (from either source) for the last few years. When confronted with a pounding sinus headache and a marked inability to breathe effectively through my face this morning, I knew there was a trip to the Whole Foods in my future (you can try this from the regular gro store, but you pretty much have to go to the WF - sorry). After a morning of kick-ass immune and saltines, I finally ran out of both (and honey-herb ricolas) - and resigned myself to leaving the house.
The only thing I may value in this town more than the sunsets is my ability to roll to the schmancy grocery down the street from my house in oversized flannel pjs and aztec print fleece socks with a runny nose and bangs askew and have my fave cashier remark "oh, you forgot your bag, you must really be feeling it. Get better." I love Boulder.
So anyway, THE SOUP. This will cure what ails you and is all heady / vegan / gluten free and whatnot.
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups broth - mushroom veggie or chicken - I use mushroom
- 1 1/2 cups julienned fresh kale (I used spinach this time by accident because my eyes were watering so badly I couldn't tell the difference)
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 thin slices astralagus root (if you can find it - optional)
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
In a sauce pot over medium high heat, saute onion and garlic in oil, 3 minutes.
Add turmeric and mushrooms, saute 2 minutes.
Add broth, kale, squash, ginger, cayenne, and astralagus. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly, add lemon juice and miso (adding miso when still very hot will diminish its probiotic benefits). Cover and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
And feel better :)